Thursday 1 May 2008

Dissertation Machinima Project

I am currently working on a documentary about Machinima for my final year dissertation at University. The documentary itself will be produced as a 'Machinima'. I will be covering the subject of machinima origins before covering the more technical side of things, as well as genres, well known projects and the impact of machinima on internet communities and online gaming as well as the media.

As this is my first Machinima other than gameplay videos I have chosen to work in the World Of Warcraft MMORPG (WoW). I know this deviates from the traditional view of manipulating a game engine for the use of making footage, but this is one of the online games I am most familiar with other than FPSs and allows a much more nuetral setting for viewers not familiar with gaming (and since my target audience are my collective course members, there are sadly few who have any interests in gaming). Within the Machinima itself will be the production of another Machinima (ah, the conundrum wrapped in a riddle stuffed with a enigma metaphor is right round the corner...). It will star the characters of WoW as the film and tech crew including the actors, director, sound and special effects guys who will help explain the dynamics of Machinima production.

WoW based Machinima has become increasingly popular. One of the deciding moments for me when I was deciding on this project and if to go ahead with it was when I saw the video I'm So Sick from Baron Soosdon using the Flyleaf track of the same name ("I'm So Sick"). I was previously aware of Baron Soosdon's work and never paid much attention to Machinima itself. But I was utterly astonished by this peice and looked deeper into his portfolio of Machinima and found myself falling in love with the beautiful and haunting works he produces along side his more light hearted and delicious visuals he pulls off using WoW. I would say to any aspiring Machinimator or even just a fan of the videos to see this if you haven't already. As said, it is awe-inspiring and Baron Soosdon himself is worth watching for future marvels.

Of course we have all enjoyed the skill, stunt and gameplay videos from other games like the Battlefield FPS series, Half-Life, Counter Strike, Halo and even speedruns from the classics like Super Mario Brothers and Doom. Speed-runs and stunt videos aside, games have been manipulated into a fantastic medium for expression. Series such as Red vs Blue and The Strangerhood from Rooster Teeth, The Great and Majestic Empire by UK Mercs, as well as other one-shot Machinima films have taken the games and given its players a whole new medium of access, and inspiration.

I also give nods to the Machinima works specifically using WoW which really have given me inspiration and a bloody good laugh, such as Illegal Danish: Super Snacks series from and its continuing Myndflame, the music videos by Mike Spiff Booth for Jonothan Coulton's music including Re: Eat Your Brains and Code Monkey.

As far as my own skills go, I have already received training in editing with both adobe products and the industry standard Avid software so I am conformable in editing. I have also self-taut myself a lot of the skills needed in Photoshop and other like-minded programs. However, I have to work out the real ins and outs of manipulating the game, it's maps and models to the fullest so I can create my own project which I will be proud of. As my research and script work develop I will keep you all posted on my dissertation project and the Machinima process.

No comments: